Ya’ll. I’m busy. And I know many of you are too. Lately this has been something that’s been heavily on my mind. This fall my bible study group is doing a study called, Finding Freedom from Worry & Stress, and it has really hit home with me on how busy I pack my schedule.
I will say I’m a busy body. I like to be busy, it actually fulfills me to be busy, work hard and feel accomplished at the end of the day. And I don’t completely think that being “busy” is a bad thing. It’s just when it starts to affect you on the inside. I know that feeling when I’ve taken too much on, I get super overwhelmed, anxious and so scatterbrained.
So those feelings of major overwhelm are what we’re trying to avoid here. I’ve really been actively trying to figure out how make the absolute most of my time which includes “un-busying” some of that time I’m spending doing unproductive things. I want to realistically schedule my time and get things done to the absolute most of my ability. So that I also have some free, un-busy time too! So here are my 5 ways to un-busy your life and make your days a little easier.
5 Ways To Un-Busy Your Life
- Do a Social Media Check. Social media isn’t the same for everyone but do you feel like you go down a social media black hole when you get on? It’s kind of a pick your poison with social media, but for me I could look at instagram & snapchat for hours. And that’s NOT productive! I’ve turned a lot of my notifications off and I really try to not get on either of these for very long periods of time throughout my day, especially not in the mornings. I allow myself as much time as I want at the end of the day to browse my favorite social media and that’s it! That way I can look forward to my time and know I’ll still be able to look at it later.
- Stop Saying “yes” to Everything. I have a bad habit of agreeing to something before I really even think about it. Lately I’ve been trying to take the time, look at my calendar and then reply yes or no to even things like dinner with friends. Yes, that’s something that’s important to me but if I’m just running around like a crazy person trying to make it there, it’s not really something that’s lifting me up, it’s quickly tearing me down.
- Live By Your Planner. I seriously L-O-V-E my planner and just about don’t go anywhere without it. When your days & weeks are planned you’re able to plan for the week and prepare. I know when I have a crazy busy week ahead so I’m able to mentally prepare, and have a must-do list and a lonnnng running to-do for the week. It helps me stay on top of things and not let things spiral out of control when something pops up that’s not planned. I usually have a slower paced Monday so I’m able to work on things for the week, outline blog posts, start on to-do lists, and get the ball rolling for the week. Personally I need a planner that I can write in and see the entire week in front of my face. Can’t be on a phone and can’t be on google calendar. HAS to be a real life book of a planner! But find out whatever works for you, and live by it!
- Exercise & Rest. Lately I’m exhausted yet sleeping so much. I know the problem but I’m just ignoring it. But since I’m working on being a more productive person, I’m going to work on it this week. I have got to start exercising! It’s crazy how much more energy you have when you get your heart rate up therefore making you more productive throughout the day. I really have no excuse to get up and go for a quick run in the mornings so, let’s go! I’m scheduling that in my planner and getting going!
- Simplify. I’m all about simplifying things this year. I don’t need all those clothes in my closet or all this busy on my schedule, I don’t really NEED very much. So I’ve been slowly but surely purging my closet, my home and all my extra “stuff”. If you don’t feel like you have to clean, put away, find places for all that stuff then you’re freeing up a lot of time!
And to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you. – 1 Thessalonians 4:11
I think these 5 things are especially important to remember as we go into the holiday season. Start planning for it now. Get your calendars in order, start budgeting your holiday spending and start simplifying now so that you can make the most of your holiday! I’m getting my Christmas decor out this week just because I know it’s about to get busy and I’d rather it be up and ready to enjoy once the busy season really hits. I’ve also already started on my holiday blog content calendar and have already started my Christmas shopping! Never hurts to plan!
What are you doing to un-busy your life for the holiday season? I’d love to hear your tips!
*Also, if you liked this post you might like a previous post I wrote, 10 Things To Stop Wasting Your Time On. After writing this post I read back through it and still love these points. Really great reminders.